Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rambling thoughts

Hi peeps! Thank you so much for making Lawn Fawn Hearts Card For Kids Blog Hop a success! I had lots of fun hopping around and really appreciate all the supports & all the sweet comments.

Today I feel like rambling. Hope you don't mind. I was in reflective mood after remembering that my former country, Indonesia just celebrated their 65th Independence Day a couple days ago.  I've been in the States for 15 years and I have become a US citizen, but I don't forget my root. I am 3rd generation Chinese, who was born & raised in Indonesia. In reflection, I am grateful for my upbringing in Indonesia. It definitely shaped who I am today & make me so appreciate of my life in the States now.

My parents themselves were raised in Indonesia & Dutch cultures. My mom lived in Holland for several year & to this day cannot speak proper Indonesian. LOL. But, she speaks Dutch & English to perfection. So, I grew up with mix cultures to start with. Growing up, I used to hear 3 languages at home, Dutch (my parents used this when they didn't want us to know what they're saying, although I do understand the word crazy and that meant they're talking about us, the kids), English, & Indonesian. With other family members, I also hear Chinese (unfortunately, as much as I love learning languages, I only know how to count 1-100 in Chinese).

I am very grateful for my life now in the States. Love the freedom & the independence I have. All these mix cultures mold me and I am thankful that I have the best of both world, East & West. I hold the positive things from each culture and hope I can continue & pass them to my kids when I have them someday down the road. I love each culture dearly. And in my heart, I have 2 homes, Indonesia & the States. Just grateful at how lucky I am! :)

OK, enough chit chat.  On to today's cards. First up is my card for Paper Play Challenge. This week challenge is PINK, PINK, PINK! I used Tiddly Ink princess again as I just love her. Covered her skirts with lots of glitters. Come on, princess have to have some glitters, right?


The sentiment is from Hero Arts and I used my new Spellbinders Nestabilities Label 10 to frame it. Loved it big time! Also entering this card for:
Creative Card Crew - sparkle and shine
My Time To Craft - glitter and glitz
Wild Orchid (2 weeks) - one for the girls

Next, is my favorite owl for Digi Doodle Shop's Best challenge 21 "ANYTHING GOES". I decided my owl gonna be funky, bright & colorful. Again, I'm using the Nestie Label 10 to frame the owl. Sentiment is from Papertrey Ink. Sorry for the way the picture look, somehow when I photograph anything yellow, it comes out a bit funky. Note to self, look for photography tent this weekend!


Phew, this week has been crazy busy for me. I think tonight I'll take a break for card making & just chill. And reminder, you have till Friday to enter Wee Memories  button, brads or bling challenge!! Hope your Thursday is great and I am looking forward to your creations! Ciaoo....

23 comments:

jo said...

Both cards are so fabulous - once again, you amaze me with what you do with that owl! :)

My friend is half indonesian/dutch. I think there's a festival here in Northern California once a year. I'd love to go with her sometime. I love learning new cultures!

Angi~Mistress of Mayhem said...

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story. I'm half Korean, but my mother didn't think it was important enough to pass on her culture to her children. I think your future children will be so blessed by you sharing their heritage with them!

Lovely cards, too. :)

Barb said...

Love hearing you "ramble" Vera! It helps all of us get to know you better! Fantastic cards today! Love that owl and how you curved the sentiment!

Pascale said...

Great Pink card Vera and I love the owl card great frame and sentiment. I am gonna have to get him such a cutie x Hugs Pascale

Monika Reeck said...

nice owl card Vera...the pink card also soo cuuutee....

KymKreates said...

Sounds like a wonderful upbringing! My hubby is half Korean and half White been living here since he was 12 but born in Korea. So I know what you mean about a crazy upbringing. He was adopted at 12 by Norwegians. How do u like that one. He too is so happy to be here. Both of your cards are just wonderful as always. I need a photography tent too so if you find a reasonably priced one let me know.
Kym

Mandy said...

Vera your post in lovely, and wow 3 languages spoken in your house, your future children will be very lucky having a mum so proud of her heritage and pass the mix of cultures down to them.
I almost forgot! Gorgeous cards hun, love your sweet pink DT card, and the little owl is so cute
hugs Mandy xx

Karen Howard said...

OMG, lovely card and I love this image! Going to have to get it now, thanks for inspirig me!

Kendra said...

VERY cute! I love the owl LOL... it's such a great card (they both are). Thanks again for joining us this week at TCC :)

Kim said...

Oh my word these are both so adorable! Love all of the pink! :) Thanks for joining us at WOC!
Hugs~ Kim

Simone said...

Both cards are gorgeous Vera!

TinaB said...

Brilliant card! Thank your for playing at the Character Cafe! Our new challenge starts today! Hugs Tina xx

cindy said...

Adorable cards.

Chrissie said...

Both cards are adorable, but I love the first!
Perfect for our challenges at the Creative Card Crew and MTTC!
Chrissie

Fink said...

The pink glittered tutu is so cute! Thanks for playing along at TCC!

Karen said...

Really lovely Vera.
xx

Heather Maria said...

These are two adorable cards Vera! Love them!

Judy said...

Awww hun, this is just so adorable. Nice clean look,and you really utilized the stamp with a little story. Great job hun.

Hugs
Judy

Alicia said...

Two sweet cards...I love your clean card-making style. Knowing more than one language is cool. I have cousins who know English, Japanese and Chinese. When I am hanging out with them I feel very basic with my one language!
Alicia xx

Jóna said...

Lovely card, Vera and I love the way you make the fish of ribbons here above !!
Hugs, Jóna

Amber said...

Just darling Vera! Love the owl's eyes!
Hugs
Amber

itsabrt said...

Very cute cards! Thanks for seeing spots with us At the Pixie Dust Challenge! Beth

Maria Matter said...

adorable card Vera!!
Thank you for joining us @ Creative Card Crew!
Blessings!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails